About the Waverly United Methodist Church
The first appointment for Methodist preaching in Waverly was established in 1832. The meetings were held in the school-house, still standing. Until 1871 this charge was the central point of the Abington circuit.
A frame church was built in Waverly in 1842. On October 20, 1843, the church with forty-six members was incorporated as, "The Methodist Episcopal Church of Abington Center," Luzerne County.
Tragedy struck the church early on the morning of Sunday, March 13, 1921. when a fire burned the church to the ground. On December 9, 1921, just nine months after the fire, the new building was dedicated by Bishop Joseph F. Berry.
In March of 1926, it was decided to build a new parsonage adjacent to the church. Plan 1285–2 B, with supplemental changes, from the Home Beautiful Plan Book of the Abington Lumber Company, was adopted for the new parsonage. Maximum price for the parsonage was to be $10,250.00.
On May 15, 1965 ground breaking ceremonies were conducted and work begun on an expansion of six or seven Sunday School rooms. The new addition was dedicated on Sunday, December 5, 1965.
In 1999 a handicap accessible ramp was installed and dedicated on September 5,1999.